Friday 26 August 2011

Thing 6 - I made this

Right, skipping Thing 5 for the moment, to do when I've got time to wrangle the download, onto Thing 6. Seeing as I wrote the blurb to this one, it should be fairly straightforward.

I like screencasting. I think it's an incredibly useful tool in circumstances when face to face training isn't possible, or isn't having the desired effect. And, since people have many different preferred styles of learning, this is a great tool for on demand education, and self-directing learners.

The biggest problem, and the one I had when writing the Thing, is sourcing a good programme. In the last couple of years quite a few good, free online products have disappeared and, depending on how the screencasts were stored, the screencasts may have disappeared too. I don't really understand why this is. Adobe Captivate proves there is a commercial market for the product, so the good free products should survive as well.

I am keen to do a number of screencasts for the Library here once the new College website is launched, although quite when this will be is not certain. A lot of material that is included in our library guide at the moment, might be better as a separate document, and some would definitely be more easily explained through a screencast demonstration than any number of screenshots.

What I particularly like about screencast-o-matic is the ability to save things to YouTube for other librarians to utilise, rather than keep everything squirreled away, when a lot of screencast topics can apply across libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment