Tuesday 31 January 2012

Libday8 - Tuesday

Every day begins in a similar way for me really, picking up my emails and sorting through them with what I can delete, what I need to deal with immediately, what I need to pick up on during the day, and what I can just file for reference.

Then the visiting scholar from yesterday arrived, so I signed her card up, sorted out her door access and gave her a rundown of the Library. She was very interesting and interested in everything, one of those people it is very easy and pleasant to talk to. Meeting enthusiastic people is one of the things I enjoy most at work, so that really was a pleasure.

Tea break time and we all get some cake to mark the end of a section in the Voyager cataloguing project. Any excuse!

With the post came some invoices to process and send onto finance.

I then had to fill out our film licensing report for the previous 3 months, and check the proposed films for this term to ensure they all fall within the license. This is one of those jobs that isn't necessarily in my remit, but the library understands the licensing and copyright of materials better than anyone else, so it makes sense. I also quite enjoy it.

Finally before lunch, looking up some items potentially for purchase, including some Enid Blyton to add to our children's literature collection. When she fell out of fashion a previous librarian got rid of practically everything. I've rebuilt the Famous Five over half way, and have begun on Noddy, but it's the long haul to completely reinstate her! With Noddy, we also want to get both recent and older editions as the Gollywogs have been completely redacted from new editions.

Lunch!

A bit more catching up and getting my head round the potential collaboration opportunity, and a query sent off about a possible alteration to our catalogue terminals.

Lots of meeting prep this afternoon - a refurbishment one tomorrow morning, and another with all the Heritage library staff on Thursday. Doing the Heritage thinking today as tomorrow's meeting may take some time. Cross-checking my refurbishment requirements one more time, and looking at the current costings.

Then I began cross-checking journal lists for a planned discard to ensure nothing had slipped onto the discard list or been missed off. Checking this sort of thing isn't my favourite job, but it's so important to ensure everything goes smoothly.

I emailed an archive visit to one of my library assistants who has a strong interest in that area, and did a few more withdrawals found by our Voyager cataloguer.

No comments:

Post a Comment