Friday 3 February 2012

Libday8 - Friday

Ah end of the week. The time for something inevitably to go wrong for the weekend. As I write I am running a verify/fix programme to sort out a bug that claims a student has 32 items out on loan, when they have 4. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will sort it out...

This morning I met with a member of IT to discuss a change I want to make in swapping our OPACs for cut down web terminals, that only allow access to the online catalogue. We've got an ongoing problem of the OPACs crashing which best efforts haven't resolved. So, switching to the much more stable (tough wood) web search seems the best option. I'm told it shouldn't be too hard to do, but I will await the results!

I've also checked the security tapes today and have employed the porters on a mini manhunt for a student I cannot identify. I probably only need to send an email to them, but at present they are a mystery to me.

I spent time working on an asset list, which has items we are retaining or discarding as part of the renovation. It is now rainbow colour-coded based on who I think needs to take any action. I can't wait to show it to those involved and possibly scramble their minds. I also feel slightly bad that one department has ended up a colour I can only describe as sludge :(

I spent some time this afternoon revising a list of children's authors. It is divided into two sections: the first lists current authors that we should be on the look out for new releases from. The second section lists popular authors (dead or alive) who I think we are missing portions of that we should have. For example, when Enid Blyton lost popularity for not being PC (about which I would happily have a separate conversation) pretty much all her books were removed from the Library. At least, that's what I assume happened, as otherwise the lack of Blyton seems unaccountable. So, slowly I am reinstating her because she is part of the literary canon, whatever.

**Maintenance update, the verify/fix has worked! Hurrah!**

Now to pack up for the weekend, lock the sample chairs in the workroom and email the weekend student helpers with any information or instructions they need. Libday8 done.

No comments:

Post a Comment